How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a passed family member or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your used hearing aids versus getting rid of.
There are lots of people dealing with hearing loss who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a few organizations out there that acquire and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- Of the overall population, around 14% suffer from some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would benefit nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because neglected hearing loss has been linked to numerous health problems from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. In fact, new studies come out every day showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in certain instances even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a really persuasive point. But that expense can actually be decreased by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may just not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a huge impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to get into higher education and make a decent living when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by many manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and see us so we can advise you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.